Many glasses retailers claim that eyeglasses with special blue-light-blocking filters can improve sleep, reduce digital eye strain, and prevent eye disease. However, it is not necessary to purchase expensive glasses to achieve these goals
Here are some facts about blue light and our eyes:
- Blue light from computers/phones/tablets will NOT lead to eye disease
- Digital eye strain is not caused by blue light
Digital eye strain is caused by staring at our devices. It causes symptoms of dry eyes, blurry vision, tearing, and headache. When using devices, we often forget to blink, which dries out our eyes and causes the symptoms we associate with eye strain.
In order to decrease digital eye strain and improve sleep quality:
- Take frequent breaks (every 20 minutes) while using devices
- Use artificial tears to lubricate your eyes
- Keep your distance from the screen (at least an arm’s length away)
- Reduce glare and brightness on your device
- Decrease evening screen time and set devices to night mode in order to improve your sleep
Instead of purchasing expensive blue-light-filtering glasses, try the tips above to reduce eye strain. Check out our blog on dry eye treatment if you are suffering from dry eye symptoms.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. David Fuerst or Dr. Nicole Fuerst at Fuerst Eye Center, contact the office in Glendale or West Covina, California, by phone or online today.